Friday, January 19, 2007

With those tiny little yellow flowers spread out all over the green sparkling background. It was neatly folded and held in place by sticky tape. Attached to it was a white label with the prettiest of flowers printed on it, where in a simple message was written, "Wish you a Happy Birthday". I could not remember whose handwriting it was even if I had seen it before. It had the pleasant smell of fragrant roses. It was a perfect birthday gift at least from the outside except for the sender's name.

Let me be frank, I was more surprised than happy to see a birthday gift. Not that I did not remember it was my birthday. How could anybody forget September the 11th? But I did not know anybody in the city; I had come in just a week ago. Being an Indian by birth I had not yet made many friends in Washington. I had not seen the delivery boy, mainly because I was a little late in opening the door. So I could not ask him where it had come from. I was sure neither mum nor dad would have sent it; they would rather send a card or just ring up.

Seeing it lying harmlessly in front of my door, I had a sense of foreboding, something less of fear. I was not sure what it might contain? May be it was a harmless piece of china or may be a book from a colleague. Somehow I could not will myself to pick it up from the porch. Working for the government had its own disadvantages. If you worked for a senator lobbying for an anti terrorist bill you had more reason to be paranoid than others.

I had my own theories as to what it might contain. What if it was a bomb that would go off once I touched it. Or may be it contained deadly Anthrax. It would not have been difficult for a terrorist organization to get a list of people born on a particular day especially those who carelessly proclaim it on the Internet. It would be a very good idea to start a wide spread panic targeting a particular person in a group. Moreover the personal approach would make such a person more vulnerable.

On first impulse I switched on the television and started surfing the channels. The news headlines were on. The president had warned everyone of a possible terrorist attack. Security had been beefed up at all the airports and parking lots. But there was no mention of any letter bombs at least not in this broadcast. I could imagine them reading out in the next news headlines how hundreds had been killed by letter bombs in what apparently were birthday gifts and anniversary greetings. The prospects of being killed on ones own porch was a very unnerving one. It would send a clear message "we shall come and get you in your cozy little homes"

My first thought was to ring up 9 11 and let them handle it from there. Some how I felt a little childish. I did not want them unnecessarily worried with all the work they were already up to. Instead I rang up Ellie, she took her own time to answer. I was feverishly hoping she would pick it up and quick. May be she was still in the bed. To my great relief she picked it up on the umpteenth ring. She sleepily shouted a "hello".

"Good morning Ellie, It's me, Sushma".

May be she could not remember who or what the hell this Sushma was. So before she could ask me which or what Sushma, I hurriedly added, "Remember I just moved in from New Delhi, Sushma…. Sushma Bhardwaj."

I could some how hear those rusty gates moving in her brain before she could manage to say, "O! Yes, Sushma"

It was my turn to think what to say. "I found myself foolishly telling her how I was in a life threatening situation." I half expected she would burst out laughing. Some how she overcame her laugh and asked, "Where are you staying Sushma?" may be it was just my imagination I could make out a slight trace of fear in the edge of her voice. I reminded her that I was staying just a floor below her in number13. "I am coming down don't even go near it."

I kept the door open for her as she slowly moved past the menace into the safety of my house.

"Sushma are you sure it has not been sent by your parents or friends."

I timidly replied "well I have not given my new address to any of my friends and I only gave the office address to my parents. So there is no chance they could have sent it. And moreover I have got my own mailbox."

"Did you tell anybody in the office that today is your birthday?"

"I have hardly talked to anyone personally apart from you. The only place I remember giving this address is in the office website."

"Sushma lets ring up 911, why take the risk when you can avoid it"

Our fears combined together were growing exponentially. Moreover we were worried about it being a time bomb. I hardly remember whom it was that called at the end.

They arrived quickly they were very efficient. Two men arrived wearing what looked like space suits. They first got the entire block emptied while they were checking it with some instruments. After preliminary checkup they were sure it did not contain any explosives. They took both of us directly to the hospital along with deadly gift sealed inside a box. We were vaccinated for all sorts of viral agents while our blood samples were being checked in some other lab. Both of us were seated on a bench in the lobby with half a dozen agents. After about half an hour later they arrived at our bench holding a tiny teddy bear. They were unmistakably happy that it had turned out to be harmless. I was given my birthday present and we were told to be a little less paranoid and sent home.

The smell of the hospital followed me home. May be they had sprayed a lot of chemicals all around. I had hoped they would have left the house alone. But I could not have been more wrong. All the work I had put in to arrange the house after I had arrived be now in vain. I got into the kitchen and started out with the business of making breakfast at 11'oclock. On the way back I had called into the office and told them I would be coming the next day.

I had finished eating and was clearing the table when the cell began to ring. I could not make out the number. It had to be some salesman or something. May be the mysterious birthday gift would get itself explained. I normally did not get calls during office hours. I nervously chewed in a hello. I could only hear the line going dead on the other end. I came back to the table and picked up the teddy. It was machine made, may be bought in one of those fancy gift stores. It had a brown velvety skin. A red ribbon was tied below its head. Surprisingly it did not have a neck. One of its ears was a little twisted. So naturally I tried to turn it a little and make it straight. Suddenly there was a hissing noise and some kind of spray was coming out of the teddy. My heart skipped a beat or two. I threw the teddy into the kitchen and fell down in a heap.

The next thing I remember is waking up in the hospital. I later learned that Ellie had found me lying unconscious on the carpet and brought me to the hospital. I had survived because of the multiple vaccinations I had had earlier in the day. The spray sample found on the teddy was found to contain a deadly combination of weapon grade anthrax and chloroform. The two components were stored in separate containers in my sweet teddy's belly. It had been hoped that after I inhaled the spray I would go unconscious so that I could not report the incident and get treated. The officers who had checked the teddy were glad that I was alive and luckily no other such incidents were found to have occurred anywhere else. They were surely feeling guilty at not having done a detailed investigation once they had seen the teddy and assumed it to be a genuine birthday gift. If not anything else this incident made me a million times more paranoid. Well it was just another September 11th for me.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger anon-e-mus said...

superbly put together story!!
write more often.Maybe you will follow the likes of Isaac Asimov
or Michael Crichton!

3:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home